Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugaration

Today was an amazing event and one that I will remember for a long time. I wish that Sam would have been old enough to watch it with me. The swearing in, the speech, and all the pagaentry that went along with the day did not live up to what was for me, the greatest moment of the day. Jospeh Lowery's benediction. From starting it off by reciting words from the famous African-American spiritual, Lift Every Voice and Sing, to his poignant lyrical conclusion, Lowery once again showed why he has been such an important figure in the Civil Rights movement. There are many people who could not believe that they would live to see this day, but if I could talk with all of those that are living who have seen so much, I would choose to sit down and let Lowery tell me why this day is so importnat. If you didn't watch his benediction, here you go.

No comments: