Monday, November 9, 2009

Weekend with Sam

This past weekend, Katie and Maya went to Texas to spend some time with her family because it was her father's ** birthday. That left Sam and I at home to hold down the fort and enjoy some one on one time together, something that has been rare since Maya has been born.

Of course, we did plenty of things that the two of us love to do: ride trains, eat at Five Guys, go swimming, and the highlight of the weekend for Sam, go to a hockey game. It was a lot of fun to spend so much time with Sam and I feel like we really bonded. After the hockey game, Sam held onto his new hockey stick from the time we left the arena until the next morning (yes he slept with it close to his chest!).

Perhaps the highlight of the weekend for me, was actually on Monday, after Katie and Maya came home. During the weekend, Sam and I began playing this game where I act as though I am sad (at Sam's request) and he comes and makes me feel better (sometimes that involves him bringing me a blanket!!). Sam gets a really soft cute voice and gently touches as though he is trying to comfort me, just like Katie and I do to him. When Maya came home, of course Sam had to try out his new comforting skills on her. After telling her about the Hockey game and swimming, Sam proceeded to talk to Maya in the comfort voice. What came out was a Sam version of a story that Grandpa told Sam on his latest visit to Atlanta. It went something like this: (in a high pitch Sam comfort voice)

"Maya, there are horses in Texas and they say...Neigh"
"Maya, there are cows in Texas and they say...Mooo"
"Maya, there are goats in Texas and they say...baaaa"
"Maya, there are sheep in Texas and they say...baaaa"

Now, I imagine that Randy's story had a few more things that filled in the gaps, making the story a little fuller. However, it was pretty funny to hear Sam try to tell a story!

While I was amazed at Sam and his ability to remember a story from several months ago and his desire to care for his sister, I was also thankful for all of the grandparents that Sam and Maya have in their lives and the relationships that they will have with them. Thanks for caring for them so well! And keep the stories coming Randy (just keep the guns out of the Texas stories :) )

No comments: