Thursday, November 25, 2010

Christmas Lights

Every year I have lived in Atlanta, I have put Christmas lights up on our house.  It is something that I look forward to every year and have a friendly competition with a certain Cowboys fan one block away. It is also something that I remember doing with my dad way back when and look am exciting to enjoy doing it with Sam.  This year I was able to bring a few pieces of my dad's old display along with us back from PA to add to our tacky holiday cheer on Thayer Ave and Sam is finally old enough to actually be helpful in putting up the light display!

Sam's job was to place the Toy Soldiers, Candles, and Lamp posts, as well as, test each light string.    No worries, the scene was no where like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  He only had to check about 5-6 strings of lights.  Each time he plugged one in, there was a loud "It works!" Sam took his job very seriously and was very proud of his work.  Every time he finished "his job," Sam was eager for his next one.

The best part of the display was when we had the official unveiling of the lights.  We started at the Barbers house and then walked over to our house for our unveiling.  There was a crowd of about 20 people and Sam got to walk up the stairs, very proudly mind you, in front of the crowd and light the display himself.  Katie said that you could see the rite of passage all over how he was carrying himself up the stairs.  

I am so thankful to be able to share these moments with Sam and have a little fun together.  I am also thankful that Katie "lets" us do the lights our way (tacky is more valuable that pretty).




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that kid is getting so BIG!