Friday, June 27, 2008

Fridays with Sam


For the summer, I have been taking Fridays off and hanging out with Sam all day. With his nap moving to the afternoon now, we have all morning to go and play. I decided that each Friday Sam and I would go somewhere different on MARTA. I decided this because 1) I love to ride MARTA and it was a good excuse to do it (plus gas is incredibly expensive) and 2) Sam is starting to get old enough to where he catches on to things. He may not remember the trips we take, but he is starting to recognize and get excited for MARTA buses and trains!! We have gone to Centennial Park, a Chick-Fil-A playground/Target to get a soccer ball/lunch downtown, and to a playground in the next neighborhood over/visit former DOOR staff/had lunch with mom on our three Fridays out.

I have really enjoyed our times together as well. Certainly the things that we have done, we could have done in less time if we have driven. But the bus ride gives Sam and I time to play, cuddle, read, and look out the window together as we ride by places. I have really enjoyed being able to interact with Sam during our trips and not missing out on that time of interaction because I am driving. It also has been special to me because as I have been taking Sam places on the train, I realized that one of my fondest memories of childhood with my dad is the times that he took me and my brother into Philly and other places on the train. I can recall vividly the times that we went to the car show, Harrisburg to visit Uncle Don, the Franklin Institute, sporting events, and even to shop occasionally.

I know that Sam is too little to have memories of our journeys together this summer. But I am not, and I will cherish the moments that Sam and I have gotten together this summer for a long time. And I have a renewed appreciation for what my Dad did with us. It wasn't a choice for him because he couldn't drive, but I appreciated it none the less.

PS. If you have any suggestions of what Sam and I could do on the bus & train together, places to go visit, let me know. We are three weeks in, and I am running out of ideas that are 1) free, and 2) close to a train station. It'd be fun to hear some suggestions of places we might go.

No comments: