Monday, August 23, 2010

Reading Time


Sam and Maya love to read (a trait inherited by their mother. I routinely am unable to recall any books that I read as a child). It has been really fun to see them enjoy books so much.

Maya's favorite book at the moment is a book called "I'm a Big Brother." Sam got it when he found out that he was going to be a big brother. Maya loves it because it is all about babies and she loves to point out the Mommy, Daddy, baby, "Sam", and Grammy and Grandpa on each page. Her other recent favorites have included: I know Rhino, a Thomas Book (another book bought for Sam), and Who's Driving.

Sam has multiple favorite books at the moment, it is hard to pick out one. He generally enjoys books that are fairly silly, such as the Stinky Cheese Man and An Alligator Under my Bed. He also enjoys a good dose of Curious George.

What Sam and Maya both love to do is act out books. We routinely find Sam or Maya with Lego blocks on their head shouting: "Caps for Sale, Caps for Sale, $.50 a cap." Or we find Maya turning off the lights in the living room, having everyone go to sleep, and then waking up when she turns the lights back on. Sam joins in by quoting the lines from Go Dog Go of: "Now it is day, now is the time to play."

There have been a few books that Sam claims to be able to "read." They included Mr. Brown can Moo and I Know a Rhino. We have read them to him so much that he can literally recite the entire book. Of course, this is also a trait he received from his mother because, as the story goes, she claimed to be able to read when she went to school even though she couldn't, she just had them memorized.

Here are some pictures of a recent story time in our room:




1 comment:

Kimberly Rixon said...

An Alligator Under My Bed is such a good book! Rachael and my Kindergarteners were OBSESSED with it this year. I feel like I read it to them almost every day.