Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Local Food

When I moved to Atlanta, one of the things that I was most surprised by was the lack of local food, including produce, in the supermarkets. I think I was spoiled living in the farm capitol of the world...but my expectations were to have local and fresh produce available in the grocery store from May-November. Eleven years later, most grocery stores still lack the local variety that I grew up with, but we have lots of other fun options available to us. Here are some of the ways that we have been enjoying local food in the past few weeks:

South Atlanta is full of Mulberry Trees.  I never had a mulberry before I moved here, but since I've moved to South Atlanta, I have grown to love them.  This year, the kids have really enjoyed picking them and we have started to spread the joy to some friends...




Sam and Maya picked so many berries that we were able to make a pie and some wonderful Jam (thanks to Katie's amazing Pinterest & cooking skills)


One of our favorite traditions as a family has been to go to the local farmers market every Thursday night.  We have really enjoyed this time as a family and seeing many friends and people we know.  The market started back up again this Thursday and we were thrilled to be able to go.  


Sam quickly fell in love with the chickens.  Comment and let us know if we should start raising chickens.  Apparently it is the cool thing to do these days.


Finally, after moving to our new house in 2008 and then fighting through the "baby fog years"where we got very little done around our house beyond changing diapers and feeding our children, our garden has finally started to produce (pardon the pun)!  Tonights dessert???? Carrots and Peas!  



1 comment:

Frances said...

If you wish to get local food at Atlanta, you should check out the Atlanta local food delivery services near your area.